Leaving accommodation before tenancy or lease expiry

What happens if I want to leave before my accommodation lease / tenancy expires?

There are different procedures depending on whether you have rented the property outright or you are just renting a room, and whether you have a fixed term or periodic tenancy agreement.

If you have a periodic tenancy agreement and you want to move, you should give the owner/agent at least 21 days' notice in writing of your intentions.

If you have a fixed term tenancy agreement and you want to leave before the end of the fixed term you will need to contact the owner or agent who you leased the property through and tell them what you want to do. If the owner or agent agrees to let you break your tenancy agreement they may ask you to pay any reasonable costs they will incur as a result (such as advertising costs and payment of rent until new tenants are found). If they do not agree you could be tied to your agreement until it expires. This means you must still pay rent until someone else is found to take over your lease.

The Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre, TenancyWA and the Department of Commerce are good sources of information on tenancy issues.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.