Finding accommodation while studying at UWA

How can I find accommodation while I'm at UWA?

The Housing Service website contains information on most aspects of housing, including boarding, shared accommodation, lease agreements, bonds, tenancy law and the costs associated with establishing a household. For information relating to living off campus, please visit Living off Campus.

UWA offers an off-campus Housing Database to enrolled UWA students and staff. This is a free service but is operated on a self-help basis. Properties (either on a vacant or share basis) available for rent in surrounding areas are listed with the Housing Database and individuals may then access the information and contact the owners directly to view the properties. It is via this service that students may be able to locate a property suitable to their requirements. We do not directly arrange any accommodation. Users need to access the Housing Database to find their own accommodation.

To access the Housing Database, incoming and enrolled students and staff members with a current UWA staff or student ID number can simply log in to the Housing Database using their UWA ID number and Pheme password. If you are a prospective student who has accepted an offer at UWA you should activate your Pheme account in order to get full access to the Housing Database.

  • Students who have been offered a place at UWA but have not yet accepted their offer will need to accept an offer in order to get full access to the Housing Database.
  • Other users can create a user account using a personal email address.  
  • New students and staff who do not yet have a UWA ID number should register as an "other user" then email the Housing Office with your username, your full name, date of birth, and the details of the UWA course which you will be undertaking. We will give you temporary full access to the Database.

You may obtain a great deal of general information regarding housing options via the Housing Service website where you will also find information about temporary accommodation.

The local residential colleges usually offer temporary accommodation at reasonable rates and also offer long term accommodation. For long term accommodation you ideally need to apply at least 4 months prior to the intended date of arrival in Perth. You should contact them directly for details of availability and rates.

For long term accommodation, as well as using the Housing Database, we also recommend you contact local real estate agents to check what rental properties are available locally.  

Homestay or private board is a very popular option for overseas students and interstate Australian and country students alike.

We also recommend that visiting and international students read the information on our website.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.