Travel on a non-Australian passport for Student Exchange if you have dual-citizenship

Can I travel on a non-Australian passport for Student Exchange if I have dual-citizenship?

Answer ID 1092 | Last updated on 28/04/2022 12.45 PM

An increasing number of Australians are migrants, children of migrants, or were born overseas. This means many Australians are dual nationals, or could be regarded as dual nationals by another country. You may not even know that you are a dual national.

If you are a dual national your dual nationality may have implications for you if you travel to the country of your other nationality. For example:

  • You might be liable for military service
  • You might be liable for prosecution for offences under the laws of that country, even if they were committed outside the country
  • If the government of that country does not recognise dual nationality, the ability of Australian officials to provide you with consular assistance may be limited

To avoid delays at airline check-in and again at the border entry point, Australian citizens who are dual nationals are advised to leave and return to Australia on their Australian passport. Dual nationals may often find it easier to enter the country of their other nationality on that country's passport, but leaving can sometimes be more difficult. You may need an exit visa if you entered on a passport of that country.

If you have any queries regarding the effects of dual nationality on Australian citizenship, contact the Department of Home Affairs on 131 881 (from within Australia).

Was this answer helpful?