What to do if you can't afford to pay the UWA Student Services and Amenities Fee

What if I can't afford to pay the UWA Student Services & Amenities Fee (SSAF)?

If you cannot afford to pay your UWA Student Services and Amenities Fee by the due date due to financial hardship, eligible students (Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders resident in Australia and New Zealand Special Category Visa holders who meet the long-term residency requirements) can request assistance from the Commonwealth and defer the fee through the SA HELP scheme.

Financial assistance for students in genuine financial hardship may also be available from the University and the Guild.

The University may provide assistance to students through its Student Loan Scheme. To qualify for a loan, you must be currently enrolled in an approved course of study at the University of Western Australia. Other eligibility criteria include:

  • Genuine financial hardship: loans will only be considered where genuine financial hardship is established and you can demonstrate that a loan is essential for you to continue your current course at this University.
  • Academic record: you must demonstrate that you have the capability to complete your current course successfully. Therefore your academic record is a factor in the assessment of your loan application.
  • Other possible sources of income: if you have other possible sources of income such as assets, fixed term deposits, loans from family members etc. you should investigate such avenues before applying. Loans will not be issued for pre-existing debts, fines, house or property improvements and other expenses not directly related to essential course-related endeavours. Loans will not be provided to pay University/HECS fees.

For more information:

Australia Citizens & Permanent Residents Contact:
Student Financial Aid and Housing Officer
Student Support Services, Student Central
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009

Telephone: (08) 6488 3547 Fax: (08) 6488 1119
Website or  E-mail

International Students Contact:
International Student Adviser
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009

Telephone: (08) 6488 2423 Fax: (08) 6488 4071 

Guild Student Centre
Ground Floor Guild Village
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009

Telephone: (08) 6488 2295 Fax: (08) 6488 1041 
Website or  Email

UWA Student Guild
In additionthe Guild offers comprehensive student financial assistance package to support students with course-related expenses, including the UWA Student Services and Amenities Fee.

Study Support Fund for Women
Female students at UWA studying a minimum of 12 credit points per semester, who are either an Australian citizen or the holder of a Permanent Resident Visa and having lived in Australia continuously for at least 2 years prior to making application, may be eligible to apply for a grant of up to $2000 from the Study Support Fund For Women.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.