Support for postgraduate students returning to study after a break

I am starting a postgraduate course but I haven't studied for a while. What support services are available to help me settle in?

Answer ID 2160 | Last updated on 12/10/2022 09.52 AM

Returning to study is a big move and you're probably feeling a little bit nervous, as well as being excited about your new course. These feelings are typical for any new student. The new students web page contains lots of useful information to help, with additional resources listed below.

Student Transition Adviser
The Student Transition Adviser's role is to support postgraduate students during their transition to postgraduate study and throughout their time at UWA by offering orientation events and activities, providing useful resources and linking you to other services and support that help you connect to the UWA community. You are welcome to make an appointment to see the Postgraduate Coursework Adviser by contacting the Transition Services team via Email Us.

Study skills
You can find advice on all aspects of studying at university from STUDYSmarter. There are online services and study advisers to help you throughout your studies.

Check out the UWA Library to find out more about the different systems you will be using to help you find and use information. 

Advice on how to settle into UWA can be most useful when it comes from those who are already studying here. UniMentor can connect you with a senior student from your area of study who can provide support and advice while you transition to your new course. You will receive an email invitation to register for UniMentor, or if you missed this, you can contact the Transition Services team via Email Us to request one.

The Guild
The UWA Student Guild has many clubs and societies that you can join. The Postgraduate Student Association (PSA) is the representative body for postgraduate students at UWA and runs professional and social events throughout the year. Keep an eye out for the PSA newsletter to stay informed about what is on offer for postgrads.

You may also like to join the Mature-aged Students' Association (MASA). This is an organisation set up by the UWA Student Guild to cater for the interests of mature-aged students in all schools of the university. They hold monthly social events for mature-aged students at UWA. Check out their Facebook page for more information.

The Guild Student Assist team is available to help students with any academic, financial or welfare issues. This includes any issues with your supervisor, your thesis, your scholarship, etc.  They can provide confidential, independent and friendly advice when you need it, so don't be afraid to get into contact with them.

Was this answer helpful?