Transferring OSHC providers – Clearance Certificates

What do I if I want to change OSHC health care providers?

If you’re thinking about transferring from one Australian health fund to another, then you will need to request a Clearance Certificate from your current fund to give your new fund.

What is a Clearance Certificate?
A Clearance Certificate, also called a Transfer Certificate, serves as a record of your health insurance cover. The certificate confirms the following details:

  • Type of cover (e.g. hospital, general treatment, combined
  • Level of cover
  • Your join date
  • Your cancellation date
  • Your Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) Certified Age of Entry
  • A history of your recent claims
Why do I need a Clearance Certificate?
If you do not provide your new fund with your Clearance Certificate, you will have to complete waiting periods as though you were taking health insurance for the first time. Your new fund may also increase your hospital premium by applying Lifetime Health Cover loading, again, treating you as if you are taking health insurance for the first time.
Requesting a Clearance Certificate
When cancelling your membership, you will need to contact your fund to cancel the policy and any direct debit arrangements that you have in place. This is also a good time to request your Certificate. You can provide a copy to your new fund. We suggest you also keep a copy of the Certificate on file for your own records. In accordance with the Private Health Insurance Act 2007 your health fund has 14 days to issue your Clearance Certificate. The Clearance Certificate can be issued either to you, or, at your request, it can be issued directly to your new fund.

© Commonwealth of Australia 2015

More information can be found at Clearance Certificates - Commonwealth Ombudsman

Was this answer helpful?