Deferring studies in your first year as an bachelor degree student

I've been offered a place in an bachelor degree as a first year student, can I defer for a year?

Answer ID 775 | Last updated on 02/12/2022 01.31 PM

Deferral is an authorised 'gap year' between being offered a place at UWA and commencing studies in the offered course.

  • New students can choose to defer studies at the time of accepting their offer through TISC

Where new students have already accepted their place at UWA:

  • Students who withdraw or become discontinued / lapsed can apply for admission at a later date
  • Students who have completed at least 6 points of their course can apply for Approved Leave
  • Generally, students who have not completed at least 6 points in their course cannot apply for Approved Leave. Instead these students need to withdraw from their course and apply for the same course during future intake periods

Where deferral is not an option (ie. audition-entry Music programs, Honours and most postgraduate programs, and offers with an unmet Admission condition) students may 'decline' their offer or 'withdraw' from their course. Students are welcome to apply for the same course during future intake periods.

Was this answer helpful?