Tax file number for enrolment

Why do I need a tax file number for enrolments?

Answer ID 1436 | Last updated on 04/11/2022 03.46 PM

For a Commonwealth-supported place, you must complete an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) through studentConnect, as you complete your enrolment.

If you're an Australian citizen and wish to defer all or part of your Student Contribution through the HECS-HELP scheme, you will need to provide your Tax File Number.

If you do not have a TFN, you will need to complete a Tax file number application or enquiry for an individual form, available from the Tax Office website. TFNs cannot be allocated over the telephone, by facsimile or email. For information on how to apply for a TFN, or if you cannot find your TFN, phone the Tax Office on 13 28 16.

It is essential to apply early to ensure you have your TFN on or before your unit census date. A TFN is usually provided within 28 days of application.

If you are applying for a TFN for the purpose of HECS-HELP within one month before the relevant census date, you must request a Certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office. You should provide the certificate to UWA as proof of your application and it must be supplied if you have not received your TFN before the census date. If you do not do so you will either have to pay your student contribution up-front by the census date or your enrolment will be cancelled. You must then quote your TFN to a Fees Officer at UWA with 21 days of the day the Tax Office issues your Tax File Number Advice.


Was this answer helpful?