Refunds and system credits if you choose to withdraw from a unit(s) after the census date

I have withdrawn from a unit(s) after the census date. Can I get my fees or student contribution refunded or credited to future study periods?

Answer ID 165 | Last updated on 04/11/2022 03.18 PM

The information below is applicable to domestic students only. International students should refer to the Fee Refund Policy.

You can only apply for a tuition fee refund/remission in limited circumstances when you have withdrawn from a unit after the census date. It's important to be aware that the eligibility criteria for withdrawing from a unit without academic penalty via Special Consideration are not the same as the criteria for applying for fee remission. Fee remission guidelines are governed by Australian government legislation. Please familiarise yourself with the fee remission eligibility criteria.

You can submit a Remission Application Form to apply to have your:

  • HECS-HELP balance re-credited
  • Up-front payments of student contributions refunded
  • FEE-HELP balance re-credited
  • Tuition fees refunded

Refunds of associated up-front student contribution payments and or remission of associated HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP debts are not automatic; it depends on your circumstances and meeting certain conditions set out by the Commonwealth. Applications are assessed in accordance with the Higher Education Support Act (HESA) 2003.

To submit your completed application form and relevant documentation, contact the UWA Fees Office via Email Us.

Note: Under legislation, the University is not permitted to refund SA-HELP debt and does not refund up front SSAF payments.

Was this answer helpful?