Undergraduate bachelors courses explained

How does the UWA undergraduate course structure work?

Answer ID 2250 | Last updated on 03/10/2022 10.54 AM

At UWA you can study one of a number of bachelor degrees.

There are some limits you need to be aware of. For example, for a single bachelor degree these include: you cannot include more than 12 units at Level 1; you must pass at least three units at Level 3; your course may include Foundational Units. Beyond these requirements, you have the freedom to craft a course that best suits your interests.

You can choose to complete one or two majors. A single major normally consists of eight units. Your major will include a mix of core and option units.

Degree-specific major
Your degree-specific major is an area in which you choose to specialise. 

Second major
You can pursue multiple interests by choosing to select a second major. It may be something that complements your degree-specific major, or it may be something completely different.

Area of interest
If you're not sure which major(s) you'd like to choose, you can initially select a broad 'Area of interest' when you first apply or enrol. You don't need to choose a major until your second year of study.

Broadening units
Broadening units are designed to expose you to different ideas and ways of learning, and to prepare you for the challenges of a global workforce. You must complete four broadening units (24 points) in an undergraduate bachelor's course. Broadening requirements can be satisfied by passing 24 credit points of study from outside the unit sequence of the degree-specific major.

Elective units
Depending on your choice of majors you may have space for elective units. You can choose (almost!) anything you like to expand your knowledge in a new field, provided you meet the unit rules.

Study load
A standard full-time study load is four units per semester. The minimum number to be classified as full-time is three units per semester. You're welcome to study part-time (i.e. one or two units per semester) provided you complete your degree within 10 years. Student visa holders are generally required to be enrolled in four units per semester in order to meet their visa requirement of completing within the duration of their CoE.

Further information
Full details on undergraduate courses, majors and units are in the UWA Handbook. If you have any questions search the Frequently Asked Questions. If you can't find the answers Email Us, visit the Student Experience team at Student Central or your Student Advising Office for more information regarding enrolment and study loads.

Was this answer helpful?