Incorrect personal details in CaptureME

What if my personal details are incorrect in CaptureME?
Submit an enquiry to Student Administration via Email Us explaining your personal details are incorrect. Attach a full size colour scan of your passport or birth certificate so we're able to make the correction for you. 

Once we correct your name, we'll email you back and you can go ahead and submit your photo through CaptureME.

Was this answer helpful?