HECS-HELP explained

What is HECS-HELP?

The HECS-HELP loan scheme aids eligible students in paying their student contribution for unit(s) of study in which they are enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student.

You are eligible for HECS-HELP if you:

  1. Are enrolled in a unit of study as a Commonwealth Supported student
  2. Meet the citizenship and residency requirements:
    a) an Australian citizen
    b) the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who will be resident in Australia for the duration of the unit/s
    c) be a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements

HECS-HELP loans are repaid through the taxation system and therefore a condition of using this scheme is that you provide the University of Western Australia with your Tax File Number.

If you are eligible and wish to access the HECS-HELP loan scheme you must complete and submit an online "Request for Commonwealth Assistance Form" (eCAF) on studentConnect on or before the census date of the unit and supply your tax file number.

More information on HECS-HELP can be found in the "Information for Commonwealth supported students Booklet" available online through the Study Assist website.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.