Commonwealth supported places explained

What is a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)?

A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) refers to the way in which your position as a student at the University of Western Australia is made available. If you have a Commonwealth Supported place, it means the Australian government makes a contribution towards the cost of your tuition fees (known as Commonwealth Support). You are liable for the remainder of your fees (known as the student contribution amount).

A student contribution cannot be accepted after the census date for a unit in which you are enrolled. However, most students are eligible to defer payment through the loan scheme HECS-HELP.

If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place, you:

  • Are known as a Commonwealth supported student
  • Have been issued with a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)
  • May be eligible to defer all or part of your student contributions through the loan scheme HECS-HELP

The University of Western Australia offers a limited number of Commonwealth supported places based on meeting eligibility and criteria requirements. Further information about Commonwealth supported places and eligibility requirements are available at the Study Assist website.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.