Paying your student contribution up front after the census date

Can I pay my student contribution amount up-front after my unit census date?

Answer ID 158 | Last updated on 10/11/2022 11.39 AM

Commonwealth Government Legislation stipulates that if you are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) you cannot pay your student contribution amount up-front after your unit census date(s).

If you are required to pay your student contribution amount up-front, and do not have the option of deferring payment, you must pay this amount in full by your unit census date. If payment is not made in full by this date, your unit enrolment will be cancelled.

If you are eligible to defer your payments and have provided your Tax File Number (TFN) to the University, a HECS-HELP loan will be reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). After your unit census date(s) you can contact the ATO and ask to make a 'voluntary re-payment' of your HECS-HELP debt.

Note: The University reports your debt to the Department of Education, Skills and Employment who then passes this information onto the ATO. Therefore it may take up to six months before the ATO has a record of your HECS-HELP debt.

Was this answer helpful?