Enrolled students eligibility for Youth Allowance

How do I remain eligible for Youth Allowance if I am enrolled as a student?

Generally, the Centrelink Youth Allowance for study purposes is only paid to eligible students who are studying full-time. This means your aggregate enrolment load must be at least 0.375 Equivalent Full-Time Study Load (EFTSL) in each semester.

Your enrolment load is reported to Centrelink several times a year. From this information Centrelink assess your eligibility for Youth Allowance.

Your semester  enrolment load is combined with load from non-standard semester units (which will be counted  as part of semester 1 or semester 2 enrolment load) to determine whether you are classified as a full-time or part-time student for a particular semester. Units in summer term are excluded from this.

If your semester load changes from full-time to part-time it is strongly recommended that you contact Centrelink. If your enrolment load falls below 0.375, you will normally cease to be eligible for the Youth Allowance and may incur over payment, which will require repayment to the Australian government.

The  Student Assist Officers at the UWA Student Guild can help you with  Youth Allowance questions. They offer assistance with applications, as well as assistance with appealing Centrelink decisions and interpreting regulations and policy.

For further information on Youth Allowance telephone 13 24 90.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted; please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.